This is a list of resources that may be helpful to you or someone you know. These resources are not meant to be a replacement for counselling but rather an additional support for your healing process.
– Important Phone Numbers –
If you or someone you know needs help, call one of the numbers below:
- 9-1-1 if you are in an emergency.
- 1-800-SUICIDE (1-800-784-2433) if you are considering suicide or are concerned about someone who may be.
- 310Mental Health Support at 310-6789 (no area code needed) for emotional support, information and resources specific to mental health.
- Alcohol & Drug Information and Referral Service at 1-800-663-1441 (toll-free in B.C.) or 604-660-9382 (in the Lower Mainland) to find resources and support.
- Crisis Text Line Text HOME to 741741. Serves anyone, in any type of crisis, for free 24/7.
- Kid’s Help Phone at 1-800-668-6868 to speak to a professional counsellor, 24 hours a day.
- Trans Lifeline is dedicated to the well being of transgender people. The hotline is staffed by transgender people for transgender people. US (877) 565-8860 Canada: (877) 330-6366
– Apps/Texting –
- Calm is a mindfulness and meditation app. Calm iOS or Calm android
- Headspace is a service that provides guided meditation sessions and mindfulness training. Headspace iOS or Headspace android
- MindShift will help you learn how to relax, develop more helpful ways of thinking, and identify active steps that will help you take charge of your anxiety. MS iOS or MS android
- Narcotics Anonymous Meeting Search is an app to find an NA Meeting anywhere around the world. NAMS iOS or NAMS android
- Pacifica offers daily tools for stress and anxiety alongside a supportive community. Pacifica iOS or Pacifica android
- Reflectly is a journal utilizing artificial intelligence to help you structure and reflect upon your daily thoughts and problems. R iOS or R android
- 7 Cups is a service which provides free support to people experiencing emotional distress by connecting them with trained listeners. 7 Cups iOS or 7 Cups android
- Talkspace is an online and mobile therapy company. TS iOS or TS android
– Websites –
- AnxietyBC is a leader in developing online, self-help, and evidence-based resources on anxiety and anxiety disorders.
- BC Bereavement Helpline (BCBH) is a non-profit, free, and confidential service that connects the public to grief support services within the province of BC.
- HeadsUpGuys is a resource for supporting men in their fight against depression by providing tips, tools, information about professional services, and stories of success.
- The Mood Disorders Association of BC (MDABC) is a nonprofit organization that provides treatment, support, education, and hope of recovery for people living with a mood disorder.
- Vancouver Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism.
- Vancouver Narcotics Anonymous consists of members share their successes and challenges in overcoming active addiction and living drug-free, productive lives through the application of the principles contained within the Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions of NA.
– Printable Resources –
- Adults Grieving Death of a Parent
- After Pregnancy Loss
- Are You Concerned About Someone Who is Feeling Suicidal?
- Community Contacts for Older Adults
- Coping with Christmas and Other Special Dates
- Domestic Violence Resources
- First Nations Mental Health & Addictions Liaison Worker
- Guidebook To Understanding Your Emotions When You Are Grieving
- Guidebook To Help During Difficult Times
- Helping Children and Teens During Difficult Times
- Home and Community Care Services
- How Do You Feel After Having A Baby
- If You Are Feeling Suicidal
- Older Adult Mental Health Services & Addictions
- Pender Community Health Centre Addictions Services
- Preparing Children For Loss
- Suicide Bereavement
- Vancouver Addiction Services
- Vancouver Child & Youth Mental Health Services
- VCH Eating Disorders Program
- Youth Clinics
- Youth Pregnancy & Parenting Program
- Youth Health & Wellness Services (Including Addiction & Prevention Services)
Heather Hassenbein Counsellor Vancouver, BC Art Therapist Empath Highly Sensitive Person HSP Downtown Kitsilano